A professional translation service can be quite costly because a translator is paid per word or per page that he or she translates. So how much do they charge per word? Basically, the cost per word will depend a lot on the complexity and the language that you wish to translate into. Some agencies will also charge their services according to the number of man hours that they need to put in.
So in this article, I will share some tips with you on saving money on translation services:
1. Use free translation tool whenever possible. If it is a simple translation task, use free translation tools whenever possible. Just go to Google and type in “free translation” and you should be able to get some free tools to use.
2. Always plan and prepare early. Deadline is one of the factors that translation agencies consider before they can give you quotations. Therefore, to prevent any rush charge, plan early. Get your documents ready and give them a comfortable timeline to work with.
3. Compare prices. Nowadays, there are so many translation service providers around. Before you engage a vendor, shop around and compare price. Gather a few quotations and see who can give you the best offer.
4. Provide only the text you want to translate. As translation agencies usually charge by per word or per page, you should give them the exact number of words to translate. Avoid repetitions in your text. If there are repetitions in your text, make sure that you ask for a discount for those repetitive words.
5. Check out the credential of the translation service provider. Before engaging a provider, make sure that you check their credentials. This is because you will not want to get a sub-standard work and pay more to retranslate them again.
6. Try to avoid complex layouts. Translation agencies demand higher fees if the layouts of your documents are complex. Provide the agency the text to be translated in Words document file, with little or no formatting needed. Your responsibility is to make the translator’s job as easy as possible. The easier the job, the lesser you need to pay for the service.
Hope that with these 6 tips, I can help you reduce the money that you need to pay for translation services. If you conduct businesses internationally, professional translation services are something that you cannot to miss out on. So if the price is right, go for it.